- If only I understood then that I was behaving as I was with food because I needed to numb and soothe myself.
- If only I’d been able to know that and then ask myself what I needed to soothe myself from/for (separate from my judgements of my body and my shame around what I was eating).
- If only I’d been more in tune with my body and what I was feeling, I would have been able to immediately understand that there were other things in my life that were causing me distress and that I would very likely feel a lot less anxious and insecure (not that I knew I was feeling that way) and therefore, need food to cope a lot less.
- If only I’d had a clue that food was a coping strategy and not the problem!
- If only I’d been able to offer myself a little empathy, a little compassion, a little of the nurturing and warmth that was missing in my life, I’m sure I would have started to feel more worthy and whole and happy rather than depressed and fearful.